The neighbour

The summons lay on the table. Printed on canary yellow paper it could have been an invitation for a birthday party, rather than an invite to Court one day and some distant part of me wondered if it would be as easy to refuse.

My husband was shaking his head and muttering something about it being “ridiculous” and “nothing to worry about” whilst I scanned it through numbly, not understanding the legal jargon, the accusations, or the “how” and the “why”.

It spoke of rainwater in times of storms, a field that has stood for 100 years and a house that has been there for 30. It concerned our neighbour, who’d built the house as a holiday home and who has lived in it, on and off ever since. The neighbour with whom we’d shared barbecues and aperitifs, who waved whenever he spotted the children, and who would stop his car for a chat when he saw us walking along the road. The same neighbour who was now suing us. The summons seemed as unlikely and impossible as snow in July.

When I saw the amount that he was asking for in compensation, my heart flipped, before settling back into place a few inches from where it should have been. It stuttered and jarred as I went from hot to cold; I couldn’t imagine where we, or the farm would find that sort of money.

That was if we lost the case, which wasn’t going to happen of course. My husband was adamant about that. We had absolutely nothing to reproach ourselves for and could prove it. I tried to have faith in his judgement, but all the time a little voice was nagging “but what if you lose, but what if….?” With that yellow piece of paper, I could see the ghost of life future – the time, expense and stress needed to weather drawn-out legalities. It made me tremble in apprehension.

There’s no reason to worry I told myself, no point giving in before the battle has begun, but the uncertainty and the thought that he didn’t have anything to lose and we had everything, came back again and again. I waited until my husband had gone outside then I pressed the palms of my hands hard over my eyes to stop the tears.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Farming, Village Life. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The neighbour

1. tut-tut says:

Well, what IS IT with some people?? I would just be guessing here, but if your neighbor is from “away,” as we say here, he will not be able to sue you for anything, as your husband and family are the “natives.”

2. Mouse says:

French neighbours can be SO tricky!
    I have my very own bête here in Brittany who seems to take pleasure in finding fault, tormenting me and complaining about everything
    I hope that all goes well for you

3. Seems it’s always the people who have nothing to lose who are the ones who sue… I just don’t understand some people.

4. Gigi says:

Oh gosh, I hope everything turns out all right for you. I can’t understand some people either…

Keep us posted

5. angela says:

I’m horrified to read this. Sounds a bit like Jean de Florette.
    I’ll be thinking of you but perhaps get some legal advice. antenne de Justice are very helpful if you have an office nearby…
    Angela

6. meredith says:

This seems to be a common thing to do between french neighbors. Does he still wave?
    Don’t worry too much, I am sure your husband is right.

7. The thought of someone you consider a neighbor sueing you is replusive.
    My thoughts are with you.

8. Small consolation, but I’ve nominated you for a few awards. Stop by if you’d like to collect the buttons.

9. tut-tut says:

Looking forward to seeing your buttons: I’ll vote for you; just point me in the right direction.

10. Thank you all for your words of encouragement. Since receiving the summons, we have found a lawyer and sent off the paperwork. The court date will probably be set for some time next year.
    Meredith – no he doesn’t still wave!
    Karen – Thank you!

11. Hexe says:

I am sorry about the legal situation. The fact that it is a neighbor is only extra salt in the wound. I am very glad to hear that you have retained an attorney who will be helpful in preparing you for what to expect. My parents were in litigation for over ten years regarding some land. In the end they were successful but it caused some sleepless nights and some hurt feelings over other neighbors taking sides. Best wishes and good thoughts.